Tremors are a common symptom of many neurological disorders and can be debilitating for those who experience them. They may cause problems with speaking, walking, and even writing. Luckily, there are treatment options available to help alleviate tremors in many individuals! In this article, we will help you understand tremors and what treatment options you can get with your health card.
What Is A Tremor?
A tremor is an involuntary, rhythmic muscle contraction that usually affects the hands and fingers. It can also affect other body parts such as your head, neck or shoulders. Tremors may be caused by many things like alcohol withdrawal or medical conditions like Parkinson’s disease, essential tremors, multiple sclerosis etc! There are two types of tremors for which you get yourhealth card that include:
- An intentional tremor that happens when you are doing something like holding a pen to write on paper.
- Postural tremors happen when you are in a position that is against gravity.
- Task-specific tremors occur when doing specific tasks.
- The kinetic tremor happens due to the movement of the body such as moving your wrist up and down.
- Isometric Tremor happens during the voluntary contraction of your muscles, irrespective of the muscle movements.
What Are The Causes Of Tremors?
There is a wide range of reasons why one may experience tremor that include:
- Prescription medications
- Muscle fatigue
- Low blood sugar levels
- Traumatic brain injury
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s diseases
How Are Tremors Diagnosed?
The best neurologist in Kolkata would suggest both physical and neurological tests to diagnose the tremor.
Physical Examination is done to check:
- Whether muscle contractions happen during movement or at rest.
- Place where tremor occurs on your body
- Frequency and amplitude of the tremor
- Whether the tremor is bilateral or unilateral
In neurological examination, the doctor examines:
- Impaired balance
- Increased stiffness in the muscles
- Speed abnormalities
Other Form Of Diagnostic Tests
Doctors may suggest another form of tests to determine what is causing tremor in the body. Some of the tests include:
- Blood and urine tests help in determining whether or not the tremor is caused due to:
- Drug interactions
- Side effects of medicines
- Thyroid dysfunction
- Chronic alcohol consumption
- An electromyogram is a test that records electrical activities in your muscles. A doctor may suggest this test to measure the involuntary activities of your muscles in response to nerve stimulation.
- Diagnostic imaging tests such as CT scan or MRI helps in detecting any brain damage that may lead to tremors. A SPECT or PET scan is suggested by the doctor when he or she suspects Parkinson’s disease.
Treatment Of Tremor According To The Best Neurologist In Kolkata
Following are the treatment options for tremor that the best neurologist in Kolkata may suggest:
Medications are generally used to treat tremors. Some of the common medications may include:
- Tranquillizers may relieve the tremors triggered by anxiety.
- Beta-blockers are prescribed to treat heart disease or high blood pressure. But the medicines are also known to reduce tremors.
- Anti-seizure medications are also prescribed to those who cannot or did not get relief from beta-blockers.
The doctor may suggest physical therapy to strengthen the muscle and improve coordination. Additionally, using wrist weights and adaptive tools like heavy utensils also assist in relieving tremors.
Botox injections are among the potential treatments for tremors. These are given to people who experience tremors on their head and face.
Brain Stimulation Surgery
People who suffer from debilitating tremors are treated with brain stimulation surgery. During the procedure, the surgeon feeds an electrical probe into a part of your brain, which is responsible for tremors.
After the probe is in its place, a wire is inserted into the chest under the skin using the probe. Thereafter, the surgeon inserts a small device in the chest and attaches it with a wire. The device transmits pulses to the attached probe, which stops the brain from generating tremors,
Some changes in the lifestyle help in providing relief from the tremors or assist in managing the condition. These lifestyle changes include:
- Speech therapy to manage vocal tremors
- Avoiding substances like nicotine, caffeine, etc.
- Occupational therapy helps patients to carry out day to day activities
The Bottom Line
Tremors come in different types and causes. And how a person experiences tremors can indicate what the cause behind it is. It is important to use your health card and get proper consultation and treatment timely.